Tuesday, February 16, 2010

After this reading Walden I found the views of both Thoreau and McCandless to be very similar in many ways. Both are individuals that feel something is wrong with the way people live their lives today and seek freedom by reverting to nature. Thoreau states on pg. 19 "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately , to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." McCandell's and Thoreau both wanted to live with nature and what it offered to them. Another thing that struck me was the fact that both knew that they still had human needs such as shelter. Thoreau built his shelter out of trees and constructed a house, while McCandless found a bus that hes used for shelter. I feel McCandless was more of a visual and comprehensive learner than Thoreau and found his knowledge by reading materials and information given to him by others. While on the other hand Thoreau learned through experience and was a doer and learned by mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment